Monday, December 10, 2018

Touching speech of first ever ASU alumnus to top in fisheries licensure exam


The following is a speech dilevered by Jonniel Saltoc Leyson of Brgy. Bubog, Numancia after he was awarded by the Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Aklan a resolution of commendation.

Mr. Leyson was placed among the top ten in the October 2018 Fisheries Technologies Licensure Examination given by the Professional Regulations Commission on October 24 and 25. According to an SP Resolution of Commendation, he was the first ever Aklanon fisheries graduate of Aklan State University to land among the top ten placers among the passers in the said examination since 2003.

To the provincial government of Aklan, headed by Hon. Reynaldo Quimpo,  to the Sangguniang Panlalawigan Members of Aklan Both in Western and Eastern District, Guests, parents, ladies and gentlemen, good afternoon.

I am very grateful to the Sannguniang Panlalawigan of Aklan for holding a commendation ceremony for me. But before anything else, allow me give you a short overview of the story of my success.

It all started with a curiosity that pushed me enter this profession. Honestly, my dream original dream before is to become a lawyer, but my family cannot afford to send me to a Law school. Since, I came from a Fisheries secondary high school, my mentors told me before that this track will provide opportunities for me in the future - and they were right.

FISHERIES! A college degree program offered by several state universities and colleges in the Philippines, which most people are unfamiliar and are not interested. However, despite of being nescient from this degree, I still took up the courage to enroll. Upon entering this profession, banters and discriminators still asked questions like; “siin man kamo pagkatapos nyo una? Sa baybay?” or “so mga mangingisda malang gali kamo dayon”. As well as, people says “Why Fisheries?” So what! We Fisheries students’ deals with science and science are very difficult to deal with. These statements may sound cliché but honestly, it left us being discriminated from our chosen field of professionalism. However, these statements became an inspiration to us to pursue and enlighten them that this profession plays a vital role to everyone.

Being a fisheries graduate and professional, comes a great responsibility to our nation. People may knock us down, but we play a vital role to the country.“Mangingisda malang?”  Excuse me? We feed you! We don’t literally but fisheries do -with us! Today, as the Fisheries sector of our country is suffering from the crisis of sustainability it is our duty as a fisheries graduate to create solution to supply sufficient food in the plates of many Filipinos. Recent researches say that in 2050, wild catch will no longer prevail and aquaculture will be the backbone for the supply of Fish in the market. This is just one of the problems in the industry that we are indeed needed to impart effective solutions with. That’s how important US the Fisheries Professionals and Graduates in the country.

On the other hand, I am very happy that I have taken up this field as well as I am grateful to the people behind this success. First and foremost, to our Almighty Father, for giving me wisdom, strength, courage and determination as well as for allowing me to enjoy this grace. To my parents, who have exerted so much effort in sending us to school and providing our needs especially in the financial aspects and for never stop believing that I can do this despite of the trials that I have encountered in filing for the Board Examination. To my Friends, who cheered me up every time I doubt myself; for all of the memories that we have during our review days. To my mentors who never fails to share their knowledge and expertise to us. To Aim To Top Aklan and to Dr. Reynaldo Paler and his Team, for trusting me that I can slay this board exam easy. To the Sangguniang Panlalawigan members of the province of Aklan, for giving me recognition and for commending my achievement as one of the Board Exam Topnotchers for Fisheries Technologist. To everyone who in one way or another helped me, Thank you so much! You guys are all amazing!

Thank you so much everyone and once again Good afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment